- Water lily has its place in myth and legend, beginning with the ancient Greeks who dedicated the plant to the nymph, a type of water demigoddess. Step 1 Scarify each seed by sawing through the hard seed coat with a hobby knife until you see the seed's cream-colored interior. The seed coat must be split for germination. Step 2 Enlarge the cut with a small triangular file. Step 3 Place the scarified seeds in warm water in a shallow pan.
- The water should be between 70 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Step 4 Change the water twice a day. Over the next 3 days, the seeds will begin to appear lumpy. Shortly after that, they will begin to sprout. Step 5 Put about 3 inches of soil in the bottom of a plastic bucket. Plain garden soil will work well. Step 6 Add enough water to the bucket to cover the soil by about 3 inches. Let the bucket sit overnight to allow the soil to settle. Step 7 Plant the seed about 1 inch deep.
- This will re-stir the sediment and it will take awhile for the water to clear. Add water to maintain around 3 inches of water above the soil. Step 8 Transplant the lotus to its final growing place after a couple of weeks. This should not be done until the lotus has a number of leaves floating on top of the water in the bucket. Step 9 Turn the bucket upside down after draining the water to release the lotus tuber, roots, and plant.
- Be careful not to break off the plant, as this will kill the lotus. The joint between the plant and tuber can be very brittle. Step 10 Plant the lotus in 3-5 inches of soil in its final growing place. Step 11 Place a rock over the tuber to keep it from floating up. Lotus tubers have a tendency to float. If you are adding the lotus to a fish pond, the rock will also keep the fish away from a tuber.
- Step 12 Add a couple of pond fertilizer tablets to the outer rim of the final location for your lotus. Step 13 Cover the dirt and rock with a couple of inches of pea gravel and place the lotus in the sun. Lotus require at least 6 hours of sun per day.
We ship anywhere in the world so it will depend on your country of residence and not all of our merchandise ship from the same warehouse. It may take anywhere from 15 - 35 business days on average. This is highly dependent on the
customs and import process in your country.
Please note during the holiday season that these time frames may be impacted but you may contact the shipping carriers directly at the number provided in the shipping notification emails you will receive. Below are the most typical time frames for your region however delay can rarely happen so contact us first before opening a dispute.
USA: Between 5 - 20 days average
Canada: Between 20 - 30 days average
Europe: Between 20 - 40 days average
Australia: Between 20 - 40 days average
All Others: Between 30 - 60 days average
Delays can happen, but the delivery times above are the norm.
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us and we will be happy to assist you. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org